The shelter is always in need of donated supplies and funding. Donations accepted by PayPal and checks made out to:
Cookeville/Putnam County Animal Shelter
2650 Gainesboro Grade
Cookeville, TN, 38501
The Cookeville-Putnam County Animal Shelter (CPCAS) Adoption Outreach seeks to place all adoptable animals in loving, lifetime homes. In fact, we fancy ourselves as matchmakers, actually. Our matchmaking skills are free and are included with the price of adoption. The care and safekeeping of our area’s dogs, cats, bunnies and guinea pigs, ferrets and other domesticated animals is our first priority. CPCAS does not turn any Putnam County animal away.
Please check our Facebook page for the latest news and information.
To see our available pets please visit PetFinder.
We seek to reunite pet owners with their lost dogs or cats. Please stop by immediately after you realize your pet is lost! We can go over with you what we will need for a happy reunion! (The only way to be certain if your pet is at our shelter is to come see for yourself, in person!)
Remember that a collar and tag is your pet’s best way of being reunited with you quickly! If your pet gets out of every collar tried, you might consider micro-chipping!
Helping Hands Program
Our Helping Hands Program goes into classrooms and teaches humane treatment and kindness for animals. We also encourage group tours at the shelter.
We will work with 501c3 (recognized) Rescue Groups who have applied to partner with our shelter. We will seek out Rescue Groups to add to our Partner List. This will increase the chances our animals have to be placed in another home.
- You must be a Putnam County resident with a photo identification to drop off an animal
- All stray animals will be held for 3 days before being made available for adoption
- Owner surrendered animals are available for adoption immediately.
In order to best care for the animal you are bringing in we request an intake fee. Intakes are taken on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
- $15 if the animal is altered and current on annual vetting
- $30 if the animal is altered, but not up to date on vaccinations or annual vetting
- $50 if the animal has not been altered and does not have any vet records
- $15 for any stray animal
Litters & Nursing Mothers
- Price on a case by case basis