Permit Information


The City of Cookeville has adopted the:

  • 2018 International Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Fire Codes
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2017 National Electrical Code


  • All licensing to be in accordance with State of Tennessee regulations. If a project is in excess of $25,000, a Tennessee Contractor’s License and proof of Workers Compensation Insurance are required.
  • A City Electrical License and City Special Plumbers License is required for permitting Electrical or Plumbing work. The cost of each license is $50 and must be renewed annually.
  • An Owner may act as general contractor to build his own residence to live in, 1 house every 2 years.

Please review the Minimum Building Permit Requirements (PDF) for additional information required before obtaining a building Permit. For permit and related fees please review the Fee Schedule.

  1. Building
  2. Electrical
  3. Plumbing
  4. Mechanical
  5. Sign
  6. Yard Sale
  7. Short Term Rental Property Permit

Building Permits


  • A building permit is required and can be purchased at the City of Cookeville Codes Department.  A state contractor’s license will be required for projects over $25,000 in value. 
  • Footing Inspection
  • Foundation Inspection
  • Slab Inspection (plumbing inspection required before pouring slab)
  • Framing Inspection (all trade inspections required before framing inspection)
  • Air Sealing / Insulation Inspection
  • Final Inspection (all required inspections must be approved before final)

Permits are required to:

  • Construct a building
  • Alter or remodel a building (interior or exterior)
  • Repair a building
  • Move a building
  • Demolish a building
  • Change the occupancy of a building
  • Adding or replacing a deck
  • Adding or replacing a wheelchair ramp
  • Build a fence
  • Put up commercial tents
  • Put up an accessory/storage building
  • To set up a mobile home