The City of Cookeville has adopted the:
- 2012 International Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Fire Codes
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2008 National Electrical Code
- All licensing to be in accordance with State of Tennessee regulations. If a project is in excess of $25,000, a Tennessee Contractor’s License and proof of Workers Compensation Insurance are required.
- A City Electrical License (CKE) and City Special Plumbers License (SPL) is required for permitting Electrical or Plumbing work. The cost of each license is $50 and must be renewed annually.
- An Owner may act as general contractor to build his own residence to live in, 1 house every 2 years.
Building Permits are required to:
- Construct a building
- Alter or remodel a building (interior or exterior)
- Repair a building
- Move a building
- Demolish a building
- Change the occupancy of a building
- Adding or replacing a deck
- Adding or replacing a wheelchair ramp
- Put up a fence
- Put up commercial tents
- Put up an accessory/storage building
- To set up a mobile home
- Permit required for electrical installations
- Permit required for HVAC electrical installations
State Limited Licensed Electrical License (LLE) and a Cookeville Electrical License (CKE) is required for all electrical permitting.
Mechanical Permits are required to:
- Add or replace HVAC equipment
- Add or replace a gas water heater
- Add, modify, or replace gas piping
- Add, modify, or replace a commercial exhaust hood (kitchen, paint booth, etc.)
Plumbing Permits are required to:
- Add or move plumbing fixtures
- Modify or replace waste drainage system (Galvanized to PVC, etc.)
- Modify or replace water distribution system (Copper to PEX, etc.)
- Sewer connection
- Replace water heater
State Limited Licensed Plumbing License (LLP) and a Cookeville Special Plumbers License (SPL) is required for permitting plumbing and gas line work.
- Sign permits required for all signs including on premise signage.
- For sign permits contact the Sign Inspector at 931-520-5233.
- For regulations please reference Section 207 of the Cookeville Zoning Code or contact 931-520-5233.
Yard Sale Permits
- Permit required to have a yard sale
- $2 permit fee
- Sale can run for maximum of 3 consecutive days
- Allowed 3 sales per year with minimum 30 days between sales