The City of Cookeville has adopted the:
- 2012 International Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Fire Codes
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2008 National Electrical Code
- All licensing to be in accordance with State of Tennessee regulations. If a project is in excess of $25,000, a Tennessee Contractor’s License and proof of Workers Compensation Insurance are required.
- A City Electrical License (CKE) and City Special Plumbers License (SPL) is required for permitting Electrical or Plumbing work. The cost of each license is $50 and must be renewed annually.
- An Owner may act as general contractor to build his own residence to live in, 1 house every 2 years.
Building Permits are required to:
- Construct a building
- Alter or remodel a building (interior or exterior)
- Repair a building
- Move a building
- Demolish a building
- Change the occupancy of a building
- Adding or replacing a deck
- Adding or replacing a wheelchair ramp
- Put up a fence
- Put up commercial tents
- Put up an accessory/storage building
- To set up a mobile home
- Permit required for electrical installations
- Permit required for HVAC electrical installations
State Limited Licensed Electrical License (LLE) and a Cookeville Electrical License (CKE) is required for all electrical permitting.
Mechanical Permits are required to:
- Add or replace HVAC equipment
- Add or replace a gas water heater
- Add, modify, or replace gas piping
- Add, modify, or replace a commercial exhaust hood (kitchen, paint booth, etc.)
Plumbing Permits are required to:
- Add or move plumbing fixtures
- Modify or replace waste drainage system (Galvanized to PVC, etc.)
- Modify or replace water distribution system (Copper to PEX, etc.)
- Sewer connection
- Replace water heater
State Limited Licensed Plumbing License (LLP) and a Cookeville Special Plumbers License (SPL) is required for permitting plumbing and gas line work.
- Sign permits required for all signs including on premise signage.
- For sign permits contact the Sign Inspector at 931-520-5233.
- For regulations please reference Section 207 of the Cookeville Zoning Code or contact 931-520-5233.
Yard Sale Permits
- Permit required to have a yard sale
- $2 permit fee
- Sale can run for maximum of 3 consecutive days
- Allowed 3 sales per year with minimum 30 days between sales
The Cookeville City Council adopted an ordinance regulating Short Term Rental Units within the city limits of Cookeville in December 2017. Homeowners wishing to rent their property for short term rentals through sites like VRBO, Airbnb, and similar sites are required to obtain a permit. Please fill out the following form and bring it and other required documents to Cookeville City Hall.