Peddler / Solicitor / Temporary Sales Permit
The City Clerk’s Office issues Peddler / Solicitor / Temporary Sales Vendor’s permits per Cookeville Municipal Code Title 9, Chapter 2, Section 9-201 through Section 9-213 (PDF). The requirements are:
- $10 annual application fee
- $70 privilege fee (valid for 14 consecutive days)
- A City of Cookeville sales tax number
- Post a $2,500 surety bond for a one-year period
- A temporary sales permit also requires written permission from the property owner
- If any person, firm or corporation is purchasing or otherwise dealing in antique, used or scrap jewelry and precious metals, they are required to register with the City of Cookeville Police Department.
A copy of the completed Temporary Sales Permit Application (PDF) and all the additional requirements must be returned to the City of Cookeville Tax Department and approved by the City Clerk before a permit is issued. If you have any unanswered questions please call our office 931-520-5250 or 931-520-5251.
Scrap Jewelry & Metal Dealers
If any person, firm or corporation will be in Cookeville purchasing or otherwise dealing in antique, or used or scrap jewelry and precious metals, where the purchase is for resale in its original form or as changed by remounting, melting, reforming, remolding or recasting or for resale as scrap or in bulk, shall be required to register with the City of Cookeville Police Department. Please email Detective Sergeant Tammy Goolsby or call 931-520-5322. As required by Tennessee Code Annotated 38-1-201 through 38-1-203 (PDF), Title 38 Prevention and Detection of Crime, Chapter 1 Miscellaneous Provisions, Part 2 Scrap Jewelry and Metal Dealers.
Non-Profit Organizations / Benefits
Non-Profit Organizations / Benefits for Putnam County residents, who solicit donations are required to have a permit free of cost. The Application for Charitable and Non-Profit Organizations (PDF) must be completed and returned to the City of Cookeville Tax Department for approval.