Retiring Athletic Superintendent Jim Crea’s last days on the job have been devoted to training his successor, former TTU women’s head softball coach Bonnie Graham. While he will miss the position he’s held for two decades, he welcomes the next batter. Read on...
Cookeville’s “bark” was heard. Now the city is getting a public dog park thanks to a $100,000 grant from Tennessee Dog Park Dash, which is funded by the Boyd Foundation. Cookeville was one of two $100,000 grand prize recipients, the other being Columbia. Read on...
There is an old saying about skate parks: "If your community doesn’t have a skate park, it is one.” That may have once been true for Cookeville. But not anymore. The city’s long-awaited Park View Skate Park is now open. Read on...
“You’re a dough-what?” As a docent at the Cookeville History Museum, Rex Bennett gets that question a lot. And he doesn’t mind explaining. In fact, he delights in the opportunity to tell about his passion for volunteering and why museums are important. Read on...
TWRA partnered with Cookeville Leisure Services, Tennessee Tech Student Fisheries Association, TTU Bass Fishing Team and U.S. Geological Survey to improve fishing opportunities at Cane Creek Park by installing a variety of fish attractors. Read on...
Something special awaits trail users at Cane Creek Park and City Lake Natural Area. Dozens of native trees have been labeled as part of their certification as an arboretum by the Tennessee Urban Forestry Council. Read on...
City of Cookeville Department of Leisure Services and Public Facilities is the leading provider of recreational and educational programs, classes and events in this area. We are responsible for:
- 10 city parks
- Cookeville Performing Arts Center
- Cane Creek Recreation Center
- Cane Creek Gymnasium
- Cane Creek SportsPlex
- Cookeville Depot Museum
- Cookeville History Museum
- Cookeville City Cemetery
- Maintenance of all city buildings
Classes, Programs & Events
Cane Creek Recreation Center offers daily fitness classes. Learn more
Many special occasions are celebrated at Cane Creek Park - birthdays, reunions, weddings, graduations and more. With its sparkling lake and scenic wooded areas, the park is the perfect setting for making memories. Three picnic shelters are available to make these gatherings more convenient. Learn More
Our mission is to enhance the quality of life by being the leading provider of quality leisure time activities, programs, events, facilities and open space for our citizens. That mission is guided by some basic beliefs:
- We believe in safety and cleanliness.
- We believe in being creative, innovative and progressive.
- We believe offering a money-back guarantee indicates our commitment to quality and excellence.
- We believe our people, whether full-time, part-time or temporary, are our most important resource and asset.
- We believe our facility users and program participants’ first impression will be their lasting impression.
- We believe word of mouth is the most important form of publicity and marketing.
- We believe in being courteous, helpful, attentive and fair.
- We believe in protecting and preserving open space and parks in order to enhance the quality of life for future generations.
- We believe in making the good life better.