Dogwood Performance Pavilion will be empty come Memorial Day. No performers. No audience members. No music. That day would have marked the first in a series of summer concerts by Cookeville Community Band. But due to COVID-19, those concerts are on hold. Read on...
Fitness classes are resuming at Cane Creek Recreation Center, but a few things will be different. Starting May 18, three classes per day will be offered Monday through Friday at 8:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 5:15 p.m. and will be limited to 9 participants each. Read on...
The movements are slow, graceful and seemingly simple. But make no mistake – those who practice tai chi are getting a workout. World Tai Chi & Qigong Day, set for May 30 at 10 a.m. at Cane Creek Recreation Center, gives people a chance to try it for free. Read on...
It wasn’t quite the reception Cassidy Wheeler had envisioned for her senior dance recital. No audience. No applause. Just an empty auditorium, except for a couple of lighting and sound technicians at CPAC recording her solo performance for later viewing. Read on...
Some of Cookeville’s dearly departed are sharing their stories in a new video series of script readings from past Cookeville Cemetery Walks. The series is part of a continuing effort by the Cookeville History Museum to provide “quarantine content." Read on...
The stage is set for Cookeville Performing Arts Center’s next “production” – Conversations from Backstage. “Since we are limited in what we can offer in the way of performances, we created this project to provide online content to enjoy at home." Read on...
Perhaps you’ve noticed them while strolling through Dogwood and Cane Creek parks – small wooden boxes atop metal poles, with a hole in the front. Just the right size for a bluebird. The bluebirds noticed them and it didn’t take long for them to settle in. Read on...
Cane Creek Recreation Center’s doors are temporarily closed, but the fun must go on. Staff members have been working on online recreation and wellness opportunities for citizens who are now unable to participate in programs due to social distancing. Read on...
Due to recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and local health officials regarding the growing threat of the COVID-19 virus, Cookeville Leisure Services has closed several facilities and will be cancelling activities until further notice. Read on...
City of Cookeville Department of Leisure Services and Public Facilities is the leading provider of recreational and educational programs, classes and events in this area. We are responsible for the following:
- 10 city parks
- Cookeville Performing Arts Center
- Cane Creek Recreation Center
- Cane Creek Gymnasium
- Cane Creek SportsPlex
- Cookeville Depot Museum
- Cookeville History Museum
- Cookeville City Cemetery
- Maintenance of all city buildings
Cane Creek Recreation Center offers daily fitness classes. Learn more
Many special occasions are celebrated at Cane Creek Park - birthdays, reunions, weddings, graduations and more. With its sparkling lake and scenic wooded areas, the park is the perfect setting for making memories. Three picnic shelters are available to make these gatherings more convenient. Learn More
Our mission is to enhance the quality of life by being the leading provider of quality leisure time activities, programs, events, facilities and open space for our citizens. That mission is guided by some basic beliefs:
- We believe in safety and cleanliness.
- We believe in being creative, innovative and progressive.
- We believe offering a money-back guarantee indicates our commitment to quality and excellence.
- We believe our people, whether full-time, part-time or temporary, are our most important resource and asset.
- We believe our facility users and program participants’ first impression will be their lasting impression.
- We believe word of mouth is the most important form of publicity and marketing.
- We believe in being courteous, helpful, attentive and fair.
- We believe in protecting and preserving open space and parks in order to enhance the quality of life for future generations.
- We believe in making the good life better.