History of the Cookeville Fire Department
The following is a short summary of the history of the Cookeville Fire Department and for additional information about the department’s history please read the article compiled by Laura Clemons in 1986
The Cookeville Fire Department was officially formed in 1917 but records show an organized group of seventeen individuals responding to fires as early as 1906. The first appointed fire chief of the department was J.M. Loftis. The first full-time fire fighter was Bill Chaffin in July of 1925. The first motorized apparatus was purchased in 1925 and is still in possession of the Cookeville Fire Department today. A new location for the fire department happened in 1967 and stations 2 and 3 were added in 1974. A fourth station was added in 2002. The department was mostly volunteer until the mid-seventies. At that time protection was provided to the citizens by full-time members and supported by volunteers.
Past Fire Chiefs
The City of Cookeville has had numerous Fire Chiefs over the years. Below is a partial list.
- John Kendrick – January 2, 2006 until April 7, 2011
- Eugene Schmid – January 22, 1995 until January 2, 2006
- Billy Sliger – February 1, 1990 until November 17, 1994
- McCoy Shelton
- Emil Jenson
- Frank Moss
- Jess Foutch
- Dawson Morgan
- J.M. Loftis
- Frank Wirt